Pages

Wednesday 2 March 2011

My Object.

Millions of memories inside something so little. Colourful, reliable and alternative. Inside the one thing most important to me, becomes another world entirely. Inside, contains hours of listening, hours of remembering. Some old, some new. A changing screen creates so many different and alternate backgrounds, and can also broadcast a million sounds into my ears at one time. The outside of the item can be changed by the easiest move, making it unbreakable, yet more stylish or practical. Most people claim that they could not live without this item, and I believe I am the same. I believe that it’s incredible how something so little can mean so much to someone in life. The little earphones that plug into the bottom of the machine that brings life to itself. Everywhere. This machine comes everywhere with me like it’s a part of my body. Connected to me by the ears, never to be lost or let go of. The machine is unique and individual to every human being. Nobody has any one the same, yet so much criticism can surround the item, if another doesn’t agree. Inside is your own personal library that no one can alter because it’s unique to yourself and only yourself. Easy to change, yet most don’t want to touch the memories created by each little space used up. Each within a time based normally around three small minutes, sometimes longer, and sometimes shorter. Inside, different voices, tones, tunes and words surround a base created around something that you like, something to fit in with the market that is known by everyone, each trying to break out and become something of themselves. This item, so significant to me could mean absolutely nothing to the next person. But is significant to me because of the memories, times and places it holds within itself or has been too.

5 comments:

James Michie said...

Beautifully evocative description of your treasured object Lucy. What I enjoyed most was that you didn't say what the object was but allowed your language to reveal it. Makes me feel as if the last sentence is not needed.

I really like the line: "each trying to break out..." - like Serena you have used personification really well. It adds life to your object and your writing.

To improve there are occasions where your expression does not ring true. Such as: "the memories by each little space used up" Proof read and seriously consider removing the last sentence.

Unknown said...

Hi Lucy. I liked the sense of intrigue that you created in this piece. Have a go at varying your punctuation to add to greater level of sophistication to your writing. Good work and I like the look of your blog! Miss O'Reilly

James Michie said...

Glad you removed the last sentence. I wonder if everyone who reads it will figure out what you have described?

I think they should as your description really brings the object to life.

Mr. M.

Phil said...

It's your phone! Nicely written. The idea that "it’s a part of my body" is really powerful. I would like to see more short sentences, like the sentence "Everywhere."

Really well done!

Lucy said...

Thank you. It's actually meant to be about my ipod, but i liked leaving it open and seeing if people could guess what it was and to see their opinions. I'm glad you all enjoyed my piece. Thanks again!